Psychology Bachelor of Arts Degree (B.A.)
Effective for students admitted to UH Manoa Fall 2014 or later.
The B.A degree offers a broad coverage of psychology, flexibility in choosing courses, and sufficient background in the major to enable outstanding students to qualify for graduate psychology programs. Curriculum for the B.A. degree is also appropriate for those intending to go into law, business, education, or master’s level fields such as counseling, rehabilitation, or social work.
1. Credit Requirements
- A minimum of 36-37 credits in Psychology is required for the major.
- At least 15 credits must be earned in upper-division (300- or 400-level) Psychology courses.
2. Grade Point Average (GPA) Requirement
- Psychology GPA of at least 2.0.
- Visit the Psychology (PSY) Courses page for important GPA details.
3. Coursework Requirements
The following provides a guideline of B.A. degree coursework requirements:
I. Required Pre-Major Courses (9-10 Credits)
- PSY 100: Survey of Psychology
- PSY 212: Survey of Research Methods
- PSY 225: Statistical Techniques or SOCS 225: Statistical Analysis for Social Sciences
II. One course from 4 of 5 Psychology Disciplines (12 Credits)
- Experimental (PSY X2X courses), e.g., PSY 322, 324, 325
- Behavioral Neuroscience (PSY X3X courses), e.g., PSY 230, 331, 336
- Developmental (PSY X4X courses), e.g., PSY 240, 341, 442
- Social or Personality (PSY X5X / PSY X6X courses), e.g., PSY 250, 260, 352
- Clinical or Community (PSY X7X / PSY X8X courses), e.g., PSY 270, 280, 371
III. One course in the Advanced Topics Series (3 Credits)
- These courses are numbered 4X9 (e.g., 429, 439, 449, etc.)
- Visit the Psychology (PSY) Courses page for important Advanced Topics Series details.
IV. Psychology Electives (12 Credits)
- These elective courses may be any Psychology course not taken to fulfill the requirements above.
- Students often take the majority of these 12 credits at the 300- or 400-level to complete the upper-division requirement.
- While not required, students are encouraged to participate in PSY 499 (Research) courses. Visit the Psychology (PSY) Courses page for important PSY 499 (Research) details.
The hybrid program involves both online and traditional face to face courses in psychology, taught by world class faculty and instructors. Students admitted to UH Manoa will now be able to major in psychology and complete the majority of the degree online, with only 9 face-to-face credits required. Students must have already completed almost all of the general education requirements of the university because courses fulfilling those requirements are not part of this program. Please note the requirements to declare elsewhere on this website. The major meeting noted there can be done online.