Psychology Bachelor of Science Degree (B.S.)
Effective for students admitted to UH Manoa Fall 2014 or later.
The B.S. degree offers a research-oriented program of study, including an in-depth exploration of psychological principles, and sufficient background to enable outstanding students to qualify for graduate programs that have a focus on laboratory research. Curriculum for the B.S. degree will be useful for students planning to attend medical school, and those interested in pursuing biomedical professions or other research careers.
1. Credit Requirements
- A minimum of 43 credits in Psychology is required for the major.
- At least 21 credits must be earned in upper-division (300- or 400-level) Psychology courses.
2. Grade Point Average (GPA) Requirement
- Psychology GPA of at least 2.5.
- Visit the Psychology (PSY) Courses page for important GPA details.
3. Coursework Requirements
The following provides a guideline of B.S. degree coursework requirements:
I. Required Pre-Major Courses (9-10 Credits)
- PSY 100: Survey of Psychology
- PSY 212: Survey of Research Methods
- PSY 225: Statistical Techniques or SOCS 225: Statistical Analysis for Social Sciences
II. Biology Foundations (10-11 Credits)
- BIOL 171/171L - Introduction to Biology/Lab I
- BIOL 172/172L - Introduction to Biology/Lab II
- may be prerequisite to PSY 331 or 333 with instructor’s approval or PSY 230
- PSY 331: Behavioral Neuroscience or PSY 336: Sensation and Perception
III. One course from 3 of 4 Psychology Disciplines (9 Credits)
- Experimental (PSY X2X courses), e.g., PSY 322, 324, 325
- Developmental (PSY X4X courses), e.g., PSY 240, 341, 442
- Social or Personality (PSY X5X / PSY X6X courses), e.g., PSY 250, 260, 352
- Clinical or Community (PSY X7X / PSY X8X courses), e.g., PSY 270, 280, 371
IV. Two courses in the Advanced Topics Series (6 Credits)
- These courses are numbered 4X9 (e.g., 429, 439, 449, etc.)
- Visit the Psychology (PSY) Courses page for important Advanced Topics Series details.
V. One Upper-Division Elective (3 Credits)
- 300- or 400-level Psychology courses
VI. Research Credits (6 Credits)
- PSY 499
- Visit the Psychology (PSY) Courses page for important PSY 499 (Research) details.